This article contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Comparison Chart – Top 10 Drafting Tables To Buy
- Buying Guide
- 1. Studio Designs 42-inch Vintage Drafting Table
- 2. Studio Designs Futura Advanced Drafting Table
- 3. Tangkula Drafting Table Art & Craft Drawing Desk
- 4. Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station with Silver-Blue Glass
- 5. Coaster Desks Artist Drafting Table Desk
- Final Verdict
Aside from drawing and drafting, these tables are used for painting, general writing, and viewing large documents. There are several factors to consider when looking for the best drafting table.
Comparison Chart – Top 10 Drafting Tables To Buy
The first thing you need to do before buying a drafting table is to measure the space you intend to put it in. After this, determine the tabletop size that you need and the style, along with the accessories, that you want.
If your space is limited, go for a fold-a-way drafting table. Aside from being smaller than other types of drafting tables, this table can easily be stored when you are not using it. It is also portable.
If you have a spacious room, the best drafting table for you is either the pedestal or the four-post one. The base of the pedestal and four-post drafting tables is much sturdier than that of a fold-a-way drafting table.
The top sizes of the pedestal and four-post drafting tables are larger than those of fold-a-way drafting tables. Also, pedestal and four-post drafting tables are more expensive than fold-a-way drafting tables.
To make sure the size of your draft table right for your purpose, determine the size of the paper you will be using. The size of your draft table should be at least one size larger than the paper.
In terms of style, you will have to decide whether you want a traditional draft table or a contemporary one. You will also choose the material, which is either steel or wood.
After deciding on the draft table that is just right for you, it is recommended that you add accessories. Among the things, you should buy is a drafting lamp that you can attach to the table, storage trays that you can attach to the tabletop, and a drawing board cover to protect the table top.
Finding the drafting table that best fits your needs doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Just know the proper size of the table appropriate for your space, the size of the paper you will be using, and your preferred style and accessories. Here is a list of five drafting tables we want you to check:
1. Studio Designs 42-inch Vintage Drafting Table
Founded in Pico Rivera, California, in 1985, Studio Designs is known for its innovative products. It has a wide range of products including drafting tables, craft tables, and art sets.
Most of the products of Studio Designs are made with workstations at home in mind. For those who are looking for an elegant drafting table, the brand has a 42-inch vintage drafting table that allows you to get that artistic vibe by adding aesthetics to your workstation without sacrificing functionality.
Similar to turn-of-the-century furnishings, the classic design of the Studio Designs 42-inch Vintage Drafting Table is perfect for those with an artistic eye. With a built-in pencil groove, its wood is elegantly distressed and it gives you ample workspace.
The table’s solid wood frame gives you durability while the top, which has an antique finished surface, adjusts from 0 to 90 degrees in angle giving you versatility. The table weighs 37 lbs and it is 5 inches high, 33 inches wide, and 44 inches long when assembled.
Before you start assembling, layout all the pieces and count them to make sure that no part is missing and you know where each part will go on the table. With access to a rubber mallet, slotting the brackets into the legs will be easier. If the holes for the bolt connectors are not drilled through all the way, use the mallet to pop the bolt connector back out.
This table is so sturdy that it can support an all-in-one computer. If the tabletop is laid flat, it can hold a sewing machine although it may not be the best idea to sew on it.
- This vintage draft table has an antique design and rustic oak finish.
- It has a fully adjustable table angle.
- It has a wooden frame that is solid and hard.
- Its built-in pencil groove comes with a 24-inch pencil ledge.
- Its main work surface is 42-inch x 30-inch.
- Assembling this draft table is hassle-free.
- This draft table is aesthetically pleasing.
- It is well-designed and well-built.
- It is lightweight, especially when you separate the top from the bottom.
- It is sturdy.
- This draft table is quite expensive
The 42-inch Studio Designs vintage drafting table with rustic oak is a lot more attractive than the industrial white tables of today that come with metal legs. While this draft table is a piece of art, it is not so delicate that you have to handle it with extra care.
From assembling it to using it for your daily tasks, this table will make things easy for you.
However, the beauty and strength of this draft table come with a price. If you are willing to invest in a great-looking and highly functional table, this one is for you.
2. Studio Designs Futura Advanced Drafting Table
If you are looking for a drafting table with a contemporary design, this one from Studio Designs is a great choice.
This drafting table, called Futura Advanced comes with a collapsible glass side shelf that you can install on either side of the table.
While the Studio Designs Futura Advanced draft table’s main work surface is tilted up, the surface of the side shelf will remain flat. You can work comfortably with the main work surface, which tilts at an angle of up to 35 degrees.
Made of heavy gauge steel, the draft table features a tempered blue safety glass work surface measuring 36 inches x 24 inches. The side shelf is 11 inches wide and 24 inches deep.
The draft table itself is 52 inches wide, 24 inches deep, and 30.5 inches high. You can turn it into a tracing table just by adding a source of light underneath the glass work surface.
The detachable side trays support the functionality of the drafting table with two pencils and two art trays. Each art tray is designed with a large compartment, six small pencil holes, and two large circular holes.
- The draft table has a collapsible glass side shelf.
- It has a safety glass with a worktop surface that is tempered blue.
- It has a storage unit featuring three plastic drawers that are detachable.
- Its top angle can be adjusted up to 35 degrees.
- It has a slide-up pencil ledge that measures 24 inches.
- It has four floor
- Its frame has rectangular tubing.
- The draft table is well-made.
- It is very sturdy.
- Its pencil trays can hold small supplies.
- It has a storage unit that stores bulky supplies.
- The slide-up pencil ledge can keep tools from rolling away.
- The floor levers allow you to create an even work surface whether or not the flooring is even.
- Assembling the parts takes time
Save space in your workstation with the Studio Designs Futura Advanced drafting table. Aside from its great looks, it guarantees reliable sturdiness and function.
You just have to be patient when it comes to assembling this draft table. It is not difficult but you have to do it slowly and carefully.
3. Tangkula Drafting Table Art & Craft Drawing Desk
Tangkula is a new domestic stock corporation in Ontario, California. Among its products is a silver drafting table, which functions as a drawing desk for arts and crafts, and comes with a stool.
The Tangkula drafting table is an adjustable folding table made of medium-density fiberboard (MDF), polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and steel. The table is 46.9 inches long, 23.6 wide and 30 inches high.
The top of this draft table folds flat and adjusts. It is durable and sturdy enough as a drawing desk but putting a computer monitor on top of it may not be a good idea.
- The draft table has a wooden construction and powder-coated steel.
- The main workstation of the draft table is adjustable.
- It has an additional hollow metal shelf.
- It has a padded stool.
- Three drawers come with extra storage.
- The draft table is affordable.
- It is durable and sturdy.
- It has a lot of storage.
- It is easy to assemble.
- The stool makes your work experience comfortable.
- The table is a little short for people who stand at least 6-foot tall.
If you are looking for an affordable table that will work well in your art room, the Tangkula drafting table is a good choice. It is a user-friendly drawing desk that comes with a comfortable stool.
This drafting table functions well whether you use it as a drawing desk for your arts and crafts or a workstation for more demanding purposes. Either way, it is a very useful addition to your art room at home.
4. Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station with Silver-Blue Glass
Studio Designs has a drafting table that is great for drafting and for crafting, drawing, and coloring.
Called 10050 Futura Craft Station, the table has a tempered safety-glass work surface that is colored silver and blue and is 38 inches wide and 24 inches deep.
The Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station is a contemporary table that has multiple functions. The table is made of heavy gauge, powder-coated steel and it comes with four-floor levelers.
If you work with numerous pens and pencils, you can conveniently keep them on the tabletop in the pencil ledge, which slides up and locks into place. You can comfortably spend hours coloring or drawing on the draft table without having neck issues.
The three slide-out drawers are plastic-molded. You can mount the drawers either on the left or right side of the drafting table.
The tabletop angle of this draft table adjusts up to 35 degrees. Among the accessories sold separately that you may want to buy along with this table is the Futura Leg Extensions, which are available in silver and black.
You can use this drafting table, with a shipping weight of 51.1 lbs, as a light table by attaching a light pad to it. These light pad support bars are available in white, black, and silver.
A Studio Design 12024 Swing Arm Lamp also goes nicely with the drafting table. Take note that this is sold separately like the Futura Leg Extensions and the light pad support bars.
- The draft table has a pencil drawer.
- It has four removable side trays.
- It has three plastic-molded slide-out drawers.
- It has a pencil ledge.
- The main work surface measures 38 x 24 inches.
- The top of the safety glass in tempered blue.
- The maximum top angle adjustment is 35 degrees.
- The drafting table looks great.
- It is stable.
- It can be used as a light table.
- It’s adjustable.
- The side drawers are flexible.
- The glass top is sturdy.
- The desk has a lot of storage space.
- You can keep many pens and pencils on the tabletop.
- While the ratchet mechanism to hold the top up at an angle is sturdy, it can pinch fingers
The Studio Designs 10050 Futura Craft Station is a multi-functional draft table with a silver-blue glass top. It is a contemporary table that you can also use as a light table.
This drafting table is sturdy enough to be used for arts, crafts, and sewing. Its pencil ledge allows you to keep many pens and pencils on the tabletop.
Several accessories nicely complement this drafting table. Among them are the Futura Leg Extensions, a Studio Design 12024 Swing Arm Lamp, and light pad support bars.
5. Coaster Desks Artist Drafting Table Desk
Coaster Home Furnishings has an excellent drafting table for artists who need an affordable table for their workstation at home.
With a clean and contemporary design, this gray finished desk also fits beautifully in your office.
Featuring a clean tempered glass top, the worktop of the Coaster Desks Artist Draft Table Desk gives you generous space. While the glass top is lifted, the lip at the lower end will keep your work in place.
The base is made of solid metal construction. For your work essentials, there is a mini cabinet along the side.
This drafting table weighs 43 lbs. When assembled, its respective height, width, length, and depth are 31.5 inches, 41 inches, 39 inches, and 23.75 inches.
- This drafting table is gray.
- It has a clean and contemporary design.
- It has solid construction.
- It has two drafting tables that are smaller than the desk itself.
- Its tempered glass is slightly tinted.
- Its side trays are only attached to one side.
- Its glass top tilts for drawing and reading.
- This draft table is reasonably priced.
- It is aesthetically pleasing.
- It is not wobbly at all.
- You easily adjust the angle of the draft table.
- Without much strain, you can maneuver it, thanks to its lightweight.
- Its frame is solid.
- The drawer and the side trays are sturdy.
- The well-supported bottom drawer doesn’t budge.
- The light perfectly shines through the slightly tinted tempered glass.
- Assembling the drawers may take time.
The Coaster Desks Artist Draft Table Desk fits nicely in your workstation at home or in the office. Aside from being sturdy and multi-functional, it is aesthetically pleasing, especially when you put it in a room with black furniture.
Contemporarily designed, nicely finished, and well-built, this drafting table can last for years. The only thing you need to worry about is putting the parts together, which requires time and dedication.
When choosing the best drafting table, take note that you don’t have to sacrifice functionality for an aesthetically pleasing workstation. There are several drafting tables built with artists in mind, with their looks and usefulness perfectly balanced.
Studio Designs is one of the brands that offer these types of drafting tables. The brand’s 42-inch vintage drafting tables, the Futura Advanced drafting table, and 10050 Futura Craft Station can be used by artists for years.
For those who are looking for desks that they can use either at home or in the office, there are multi-functional drafting tables that can tackle several tasks with ease. These drafting tables are the Tangkula Drafting Table and the Coaster Desks Artist Drafting Table Desk.
Except for the Studio Designs42-inch vintage drafting table, these aforementioned drafting tables are relatively affordable. Take note, however, that drafting tables are one of those products you have to spend money on if you want to own one that will last for years.
What’s more important than checking the tag price of the drafting tables is checking their features and pros and cons. You want to make sure the functions of the table meet your requirements in terms of purpose and where you will put it.